Submit and vote on feature ideas.

Welcome to the new Parasoft forums! We hope you will enjoy the site and try out some of the new features, like sharing an idea you may have for one of our products or following a category.

ALM 14 REST API integration with ParasoftSOA Test

sansachie
sansachie Posts: 26

I have one challenge with respect to connecting to ALM 14 from ParasoftSOA .

With the latest update of ALM to ALM 14( https://alm-help.saas.hpe.com/en/14.00/api_refs/REST/webframe.htm#Authenticate.htm ) I am facing some challenges in connecting to ALM from parasoftSOA Test.

challenges in step number 3,4,5 in the above link. Particularly Step 4 (Exchange the SAML2 assertion with a lighter token from the IdM.)

Any insights into how this can be achieved would be highly appreciated.

Tagged:

Comments

• benken_parasoft
    benken_parasoft Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

Can you clarify what you mean by "connecting to ALM 14 from ParasoftSOA"? What specifically are you doing on SOAtest side to try to connect to ALM?

• sansachie

we update pass/fail status of the test cases in ALM from SOAtest using ALM APIs. Does parasoft has any extension to connect to ALM and update the test cases status?

• benken_parasoft
    edited September 2017

we update pass/fail status of the test cases in ALM from SOAtest using ALM APIs

Are you asking about something you are doing in SOAtest? Can you please be specific? I am happy to help respond to questions about SOAtest itself. However, if you are asking about how to use ALM APIs from a script or something (I still don't understand what you are describing) then the Parasoft forum might not necessarily be the best place to ask. :)

Does parasoft has any extension to connect to ALM and update the test cases status

HP ALM can be extended in one of two ways. The first involves using ALM's built-in VAPI-XP test type which enables ALM to execute javascript with Microsoft's Script Engine. SOAtest comes with an example script that can be used to run tests with SOAtest, parse the test results from the SOAtest XML report, then report those results back into ALM. The other way is to install the "Parasoft SOAtest test type" into your ALM. This custom extension functions the same as the script except provides a UI with form fields for simplified configuration.

There's too much to detail here in the forum about exactly how to setup and configure these two integration methods. The SOAtest User's guide has a lot of detail including step-by-step instructions. Just search for "HP ALM" in the User's Guide.

• benken_parasoft
    edited September 2017

I just remembered that ALM 14 is currently cloud (SaaS) only, unlike current ALM 12.x which can be hosted on premises. I don't think either test type I mentioned in my previous comment can be used in 14 for this reason. Users who have previously been integrating SOAtest with ALM generally aren't expected to migrate to the new off-premises solution as there are certain tradeoffs, including not having the ability to use or install certain test types.

Reporting test results to ALM 14 using their REST API may be possible but I don't have any detail about how to use their API in order to do that. This may be more of a question for an HP or Micro Focus forum. However, in the case of SOAtest integration, I'd imagine someone could potentially write a custom script that could parse the SOAtest XML report to extract the test results, then make the appropriate REST API calls back to ALM. I'm not sure if this is what you are attempting to do or not. If so, and you happen to get it working, perhaps you can share your solution on this forum . :)

• sansachie

**SOAtest comes with an example script that can be used to run tests with SOAtest, parse the test results from the SOAtest XML report, then report those results back into ALM. **

The other way is to install the "Parasoft SOAtest test type" into your ALM. This custom extension functions the same as the script except provides a UI with form fields for simplified configuration.

These above options seem to be good ideas to achieve my requirement using SOATest. can you please give some more details on how to configure them?

• benken_parasoft

can you please give some more details on how to configure them?

As mentioned, search for "HP ALM" in the SOAtest User's Guide (click Help> Help Contents). There's a lot of detail and specifics. It's really best to review the docs. However, as mentioned, those instructions are for hosted, on-premises deployments. I'm not totally sure they'll work for cloud-based deployments (like ALM 14) but please review for yourself.