Submit and vote on feature ideas.

Welcome to the new Parasoft forums! We hope you will enjoy the site and try out some of the new features, like sharing an idea you may have for one of our products or following a category.

DB tool with extension tool

jmcniel
jmcniel Posts: 4
edited June 2017 in SOAtest

I am very new to SoaTest and was having difficulty utilizing the extension tool with the DB tool.

I was wanting to access the results of a db tool query within the extension tool but was having difficulty doing so. The input object just shows "text" where if i attach the extension tool to a soap response, I will recieve the soap response output. Could anyone provide a learning resource or even a simple example would be appreciated.

Here is a simple example of what i was trying.

import com.parasoft.api.*;

boolean customAssertion(Object input, ScriptingContext context) {
    Application.showMessage("Value from SQL response is " + input)
    return true;
}

Comments

• jakubiak
    jakubiak Posts: 795 admin

Attach your Extension Tool to the "Results as XML" output of the DB Tool (right-click on DB Tool > Select Add Output... > Select Results as XML > Choose Extension Tool > Click Finish). Now the input to your Extension Tool should be an XML representation of the result set from your SQL query.

• jmcniel

Thank you for responding. When I followed those instructions. (which seem like they should work.) I just see the output of "text" from my input object. I feel like there is something very basic I am missing. I attached a screenshot of hte test with the log output.

Application.showMessage("Value from SQL response is " + input)
        return true;
    }

• jakubiak

You are running into an inconsistency between how DBTool and SOAP Client pass the input to an Extension Tool. Modify your script like this and it will work:

Application.showMessage("Value from SQL response is " + input.getText())
        return true;
    }

• jmcniel

That did the trick. Thank you.
    Using the getText I see how the "SQL Query" extension tool shows the SQL going into the tool and the "Results as XML" extension tool shows the output coming out.
    Is there a resource which outlines how the tools interact with the extension tools or is this a learn by experience ?

• jakubiak

Unfortunately this is a learn by experience - if you run into similar kinds of issues these forums are a great place to try to get answers!

• jmcniel

Understandable. Thank you again for your help.