Submit and vote on feature ideas.

Welcome to the new Parasoft forums! We hope you will enjoy the site and try out some of the new features, like sharing an idea you may have for one of our products or following a category.

Dynamic data - scripting and auto

Options
LegacyForum
LegacyForum Posts: 1,664 ✭✭
edited December 2016 in SOAtest
Is there a way to control the automatic generation of data for a field in a test case?
How exactly does the "Auto" option work?

I would like to randomize the end of a string example: user101, user205, user500 ... I don't want to list them manually in a table ...
Also, I have a field which I would like to auto generate, but it has to be 32 characters in length. Is this possible to control?

Thanks in advance
Tagged:

Comments

• LegacyForum
    LegacyForum Posts: 1,664 ✭✭
    Options
    The Auto option will generate a random input based on the type of the input. For instance, an integer type would produce a random number and a string type would produce a random string. The Auto option is for generating simple random test input and cannot be configured to produce the inputs in your example.

However, a script can be used to generate those examples. In the same drop-down box that has Auto, there should also be an option called Script. If you select this option, then you can use a script to generate the input. I've attached a test suite that has examples of scripts thats generate the examples you listed. The first script will generate random user000-user499 and the second script will generated a random 32 length string composed of alphanumeric characters. Let me know if you have questions.