Submit and vote on feature ideas.

Welcome to the new Parasoft forums! We hope you will enjoy the site and try out some of the new features, like sharing an idea you may have for one of our products or following a category.

Data Source - Validate Contents

Is there some way to validate the contents of the data source when the virtual asset is deployed? I have a situation where data source correlation is failing and based on several tests I have set up it seems like the data sources are not getting populated. The issue just started happening on a virtual asset that has been used for months. I suspect the issue is with the database connection and/or query, however there is no output to confirm.

JT

Comments

• williammccusker
    williammccusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

Hi,

What sort of validation were you thinking of? Could a test message be sent to the virtual asset? That would cause the data source to be loaded and read data, if it fails then would that be considered sufficient validation?

• yeah I think that would work.. something that could tell me if the data sources were loaded as expected

• or, even just an event that would confirm

• williammccusker

Hi,

In the case when the data source doesn't load the data source correlation would fail and there should be an error event reported in the event details perspective when monitoring the virtual asset.

• that's what I am seeing... data correlation that has been working for quite some time has all of a sudden stopped working. I see the event showing that no match was found.

I set up a new (simple) responder to test. The data correlation matches when I run it on my local Virtualize server, but it does not match when I run it on our production server. I am trying to see if the data sources are populated when the VA is deployed on the production server. I want to see the contents of it.

• williammccusker

Hi,

So the database data source works from your local machine but not on the production server. I am also having trouble seeing what error might be happening on a database data source. I can see the correlation failed message but not much else. For example, I misconfigured the connection settings and I am not able to see any error message from Oracle in the events or in the logs!

Could you contact support? They might be able to help.

• Yeah works locally just fine. I had an admin confirm there were no firewall issues. Again, this has been working fine for months and just stopped recently. Confirmed we have the same versions of JVM and DB drivers locally as we do on the production server. I'll submit a ticket. Thanks. JT

• I resolved the issue. I chained a DB Tool to my test responder (with data correlation disabled) and I was able to see an event regarding why the DB connection was refused. Thanks for the help. JT

• williammccusker

Hi,

Glad you were able to find a way to get the error message!

• Would be nice if an event could be generated on VA deployment if there was a failed DB connection because that prevents the data sources from being populated.

• It sort of fails in silence.

• williammccusker

Hi,

Yes that makes sense, failing in silence makes it difficult to find out what is happening when something goes wrong.