Submit and vote on feature ideas.

Welcome to the new Parasoft forums! We hope you will enjoy the site and try out some of the new features, like sharing an idea you may have for one of our products or following a category.

Import Postman Collections to SOAtest

Thomas Moore
Thomas Moore Posts: 82 admin
edited May 2021 in SOAtest

Hi Everyone!

I am pleased to inform you that we have created a tool that will allow users to convert Postman Collections for use in SOAtest. This tool is to be used to move much of the information contained in the Postman tool to be used in SOAtest.

Using this, you will be able to bring over connection information (URL), headers, most payloads, and basic authentication.

This is a great way to enable testers to accelerate adoption of SOAtest, as well as allow users to port over existing testing environments that are already set up in Postman.

If you are interested, check it out at https://github.com/parasoft/postman-soatest or any of Parasoft's other open source artifacts at https://customerportal.parasoft.com/lightningportal/s/marketplacedetails?id=a703g000000TORpAAO

To set it up, you will want to edit the File Datasource and the Environment to point to the Postman Collection and the SOAtest server, respectively.

Datasource:

There are two things to keep in mind with this project as far as Datasource goes.
1) You can only import one collection at a time. If you have multiple collections shown in the File Datasource, you MUST set the range from 1 to 1 (or whichever row you need to itself, e.g. 2 to 2, 3 to 3, etc.)

2) You will want to update the path the File Datasource looks for from its current location. You can do this by clicking on either File System or Workspace and navigating to the appropriate directory. You can narrow the search in these directories even further by updating the file filter from its default "*.json" setting.

Environment:
The tst file comes with an Environment called "SOAVirt Server" this environment should be updated to point to your SOAtest server that has its API's enabled via license settings. If you do not have a valid SOAtest Server license, please reach out to your Parasoft Sales Representative and we would be happy to help you.

Additionally, the environment contains HTTP authentication for the SOAtest server. If you do not have this enabled, don't worry as these fields will be ignored.

New Features:

• The utility is now a .tst file, meaning no need to compile java sources and run it that way
  • Easier debugging if a specific step fails
  • The utility now respects folder and naming structures
  • Postman variable syntax "{{variable}}" and "{{$variable}}" will be updated to SOAtest variable syntax "${variable}"
  • Postman variable names are saved in the top level test suite of the new file. Values must still be imported manually because of limitations in the Collection

Comments

• zizi
    zizi Posts: 2

Can i convert soatest project to postman collections?

• Ireneusz Szmigiel
    Ireneusz Szmigiel Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

@zizi
    not with postman-soatest project.
    There is no support for SOAtest to postman conversion.

--
    Ireneusz Szmigiel
    http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

• ctyler_1
    ctyler_1 Posts: 9

I cannot find the -jar PostmanImporter.jar after the clone

• Ireneusz Szmigiel
    Ireneusz Szmigiel Posts: 227 ✭✭✭

@ctyler_1
    You have to import it into Eclipse and build/pack into jar, according to documentation:
    "The tool should be packaged into a jar to be run, or run the Importer.java file directly through eclipse. The PostmanImporter folder can be imported directly into Eclipse as a java project."

--
    Ireneusz Szmigiel
    http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

• ctyler_1

Thanks - Ireneusz Szmigiel - that is what I was thinking but thought I would ask people before spinning my wheels after looking at all of the documentation

• benken_parasoft
    benken_parasoft Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

The "postman-soatest" source repository needs to be updated:

• A release should be performed so that anyone can simply download the jar without having to build it first.
    • It should be be easily built from command line, like from either Maven and/or Gradle.
    • Dependencies should be managed properly so that jars are referenced externally instead of living directly with the sources. Maven and Gradle both have ways of doing this.
  • ctyler_1

Hello
    So I created the jar file and named it PostmanImporter and ran the below cmd with the following errors
    Just to be clear - c to dir run java cmd with jar and where the collection is dir and license server info -
    That means it looks at the collection and then creates a tst file somewhere?

C:\Users\aa73135\Desktop\Kafka_TST>java -jar PostmanImporter.jar Dev_Portal_Demo_APIspostman_collection.json http://QTDENVMPC031:2002
    SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder".
    SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
    SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder for further details.
    A .tst file with that name already exists. Please remove/rename it and try again.

• Thomas Moore

Hi ctyler_1,

From the looks of the error, a .tst file already exists with the same name of the Postman collection you are trying to import. If you remove/rename the existing .tst file, it should create a new one in its stead. I purposefully did not make the importer overwrite existing .tst files in case it got rid of important information that you need.

If you have other questions about the importer, feel free to direct message me through the forums here and I can reach out to you to go over them :)

• clagosu
    clagosu Posts: 4

Hello,
    Thank you for the project. But I have the same problem as ctyler_1.
    SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder".
    SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
    SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder for further details.
    A .tst file with that name already exists. Please remove/rename it and try again.

I am unable to convert my postman collection even if I change it's name.

What I am doing wrong?

• jko12
    jko12 Posts: 1

Hello everyone, Does anyone have the following problem when executing the Jar?

• jakubiak
    jakubiak Posts: 795 admin

Please see the reply from @Thomas Moore above - your server probably has a .tst file with the same name. So try using a different name, or delete the existing .tst file on the server.

• Thomas Moore

Hi All,

I see there are several folks asking similar questions, so I wanted to make a post here to help clarify. After speaking with some of the posters here and doing more internal testing on my side, I've found some inconsistencies with the project (and postman's collections) that will cause the aforementioned error to occur in more circumstances than it should. In light of this, I have been working on a more powerful but lightweight version of the converter that will be easier to deploy and debug if needed.

Please stay tuned for updates on this in the near future!

• goofy78270
    goofy78270 Posts: 133

Curious if there were any updates on this topic

• Thomas Moore

Hi goofy78270,

I'm glad you asked! After some internal discussions and some work on my side, I've vastly improved the import utility, and I will be editing the top post of this thread in the next few days with the updates and how you can get your hands on it. :smile:

• Thomas Moore

Getting the artifact updated was easier than thought! The original post has been updated, as well as the project on GitHub. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions!

• martinaperez
    martinaperez Posts: 1
    edited June 2022

Thank you for updating your article

• AndronK
    AndronK Posts: 2

Hi , @Thomas Moore Is still not possible convert SOATest .tst file to JSON collection accept by POSTMAN?

• jakubiak
    jakubiak Posts: 795 admin

I don't know of any utilities to convert from SOAtest .tst files into Postman collections.

• AndronK
    AndronK Posts: 2

Can we present SOA test as JSON collections. I read in doc we can save in repo as JSON presentation