Submit and vote on feature ideas.

Welcome to the new Parasoft forums! We hope you will enjoy the site and try out some of the new features, like sharing an idea you may have for one of our products or following a category.

SOAtest CLI - Increase Functional Traffic Limit KB's

Options
Gambit
Gambit Posts: 28

Good afternoon,

I would like to test out doubling the capacity of traffic reports from the default of 500kb's to 1000kb's. I am assuming that the desktop and soatest server utilize the User-Defined Example Configuration that ships with Parasoft, and this is what gets utilized if you just click the play button on any test.

Anyways, from my desktop I can see the process is pretty straightforward. Use the arrow next to the play button -> test configuration -> user defined -> example config -> execution tab. From there you can use the check box to increase to 1000kb's.

Now heres the question. How do I make this happen on the linux CLI machine?
If I right click on my desktop version and export it I see the option is listed as:

I would assume I have to somehow make the CLI localsettings reference this new test configuration, but even after exporting all my desktop localsettings I don't see the option to use the upgraded test configuration.

Was using these two pieces of documentation, but I think I'm barking up the wrong tree.
https://docs.parasoft.com/display/SVC20211/CLI+Options#CLIOptions--report
https://docs.parasoft.com/display/SVC20211/Configuring+Test+Configurations+and+Rules+for+Policies

Tagged:

Comments

• benken_parasoft
    benken_parasoft Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Options

For the CLI, a test configuration is specified using the "-config" command line argument. It could be a local file path to the test config file you exported from Desktop, for example.

The local settings property file includes global preference settings. In contrast, a test configuration is a different property file, including settings specific to the particular test execution you want to run. You use -localsettings to point to your local settings file and -config to point to your test configuration file.

• Gambit
    Options

Sorry I'm not following. I went out to my server running in CLI and opened the localsettings file, but I'm not sure what to do next. Any additional pointers you can provide here?

• jakubiak
    jakubiak Posts: 801 admin
    Options

You don't need to put the properties in the localsettings file - you need to update the test configuration that you use to run tests from the SOAtest server. I'm not sure whether you are using CTP to execute tests from the SOAtest server, or if you are calling the REST API directly. In either case, you typically specify the name of a test configuration to use to run the tests. Usually you would use the built-in test configuration named "builtin://Run Automated Server Tests". You need to modify the test configuration on the SOAtest server to include the property that you pointed out. The documentation will tell you where to find the file.

• benken_parasoft
    edited May 2021
    Options

I went out to my server running in CLI and opened the localsettings file, but I'm not sure what to do next

You do not update your local settings file. You update your test configuration file. You wrote "If I right click on my desktop version and export it". Take that file you exported and use that file for the -config argument you are passing to soatestcli. Your test config file could live next to your localsettings file, for example.

• Gambit
    Options

Found the file by searching the entire machine for ".properties". Found this as the only result.

/home/omitted/soa_server_workspace/.metadata/.plugins/com.parasoft.xtest.common.eclipse.core/com.parasoft.xtest.checkers.api/configs/soatest/Example Configuration.properties

I'm guessing if I just stop the server, make a backup copy, update this, and start it up I should be good to go.

• benken_parasoft
    Options

I'm guessing if I just stop the server, make a backup copy, update this, and start it up I should be good to go.

Maybe or maybe not. It all depends what value you are passing for the "-config" argument to soatestcli. If you are passing -config "user://Example Configuration" then it could work. However, I really recommend you just export your own test configuration file and set your "-config" argument to point to its path. I would think this simpler than trying to dynamically hack the user configuration in the .metadata folder but this is up to you.

• Gambit
    edited June 2021
    Options

Thanks benken.

From the documentation it looks like my new startup will look like this:

soatestcli -startServer -data /home/user/soa_server_workspace/ -config /home/user/gambits_new_testexecution_settings -localsettings /home/user/localsettings.properties -J-Xms4096m -J-Xmx6g

Only new part is the -config.