SOATest: Use of datasource column names in the XPath editor

TestuserTestuser Posts: 41

I have the below JSON response where I need to assert the statusCode for a particular name and this name is getting fetched from the 'name' column in the excel sheet used as a datasource.

JSON response:
[
{
"clientTypeCode": "IP",
"statusCode": "PEND",
"statusName": "Pending Approval",
"id": 0,
"name": "test1"
},
{
"clientTypeCode": "IP",
"statusCode": "PEND",
"statusName": "Submitted",
"id": 0,
"name": "test2"
}
]
For this one when I used a JSON Assertor and added a Value Assertion for the statusCode element and using XPath changed the element to as below:
/root/item[name='test1']/statusCode/text()
Clicked on Evaluate XPath and it showed the right status in the Result section.
But my question is-Is there a way I can change the above XPath query to use the column name ('name') from the excelsheet(datasource) instead of using 'test1'.
For ex something like as below:
/root/item[name=${name}']/statusCode/text()

Any help is much appreciated!
Thanks!

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• TestuserTestuser Posts: 41

Some more information:
    I've tried parameterizing the Xpath using the data source column but when I evaluate Xpath it shows "No nodes found". I am using SOATEST 9.9.
    /root/item[name=${name}']/statusCode/text()

• Thomas MooreThomas Moore Posts: 45 admin

Additionally, the XPATH you are showing here in chat is malformed, as there is a singular ' after ${name} that might be causing your issue.

Can you try using:
    /root/item[name=${name}]/statusCode/text()?

• TestuserTestuser Posts: 41

Thanks Thomas and jakubiak. Sorry for the missing single quote in my Xpath expression. I've used below Xpath and for all of them it says "No nodes found":
    /root/item[name="${name}"]/statusCode/text()
    /root/item[name='${name}']/statusCode/text()
    So I ran this time and during runtime it did run fine. So looks like Evaluate button in Xpath editor doesn't show the right results always.