Submit and vote on feature ideas.

Welcome to the new Parasoft forums! We hope you will enjoy the site and try out some of the new features, like sharing an idea you may have for one of our products or following a category.

cppunit test library (c++test 10.3.4)

Options
coinoperated
coinoperated Posts: 18

I've been trying to reproduce the ATM example from the tutorial (eclipse variation using cygwin tools for make & g++). Although the static analysis, test & stub generation work as advertised I'm finding nothing is happing when i try to execute the 'Run Unit Tests'. The target 'test' executible does not seem to be getting build. If I try running 'Build Test Executible' i get unresolved references to w``hat appears to be the CppUnit libraries...i.e

C++test analysis errors in /Atm_MakefileOnly
    1. Test execution: error linking test executable for Test unit for selected sources.
D:\Devl\Workspaces\Parasoft\.cpptest\Atm_MakefileOnly\file-data\ATM.cxx18ec874a\tested\harness_ATM.o: In function `ATM::ATM(Bank*, BaseDisplay*)':
D:\Devl\Workspaces\Parasoft\Atm_MakefileOnly/ATM.cxx:5: undefined reference to `cpptestStackTraceFuncStartInfo'
D:\Devl\Workspaces\Parasoft\Atm_MakefileOnly/ATM.cxx:5:(.text+0x22): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 against undefined symbol `cpptestStackTraceFuncStartInfo'
D:\Devl\Workspaces\Parasoft\Atm_MakefileOnly/ATM.cxx:5: undefined reference to `cpptestCoverageFunction'
D:\Devl\Workspaces\Parasoft\Atm_MakefileOnly/ATM.cxx:5:(.text+0x41): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 against undefined symbol `cpptestCoverageFunction'
D:\Devl\Workspaces\Parasoft\Atm_MakefileOnly/ATM.cxx:5: undefined reference to `cpptestCoverageStmt'
D:\Devl\Workspaces\Parasoft\Atm_MakefileOnly/ATM.cxx:5:(.text+0x60): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 against undefined symbol `cpptestCoverageStmt'
D:\Devl\Workspaces\Parasoft\Atm_MakefileOnly/ATM.cxx:5: undefined reference to `cpptestStackTraceStmtInfo'....

Any suggestions?
Windows 10 host, cygwin 64

Comments

• coinoperated
    coinoperated Posts: 18
    Options

Just a follow-up for anyone encountering similar issues...

I've found a couple of anomalies building and running unit tests using the eclipse-based version of C++test when targeting cyqwin (64bit).

Environment:
    Windows 10 Pro version 1803 (64bit)
    C++Test version 10.3.4 (x86_64 installation)

I normally do not add the cygwin environment to my Windows PATH as I prefer to keep it isolated from native windows cmd & powershell consoles. I found a recommendation that the cygwin path should be available before installing eclipse/CDT when targeting cygwin or MinGW. I reinstalled c++test after adding ‘c:/cygwin64/bin’ to the end of my system PATH which resolved several setup issues.

My C++Test environment now supported build and debug (with some gdb limitations) of cygwin-based applications and libraries, however, the unit test fixtures failed to link (i.e. ‘Run Unit Tests’ & ‘Debug Unit Tests’). The problem appeared to be the default ‘cpptestruntime.a’ installed @ C:\Program Files\Parasoft\C++test\10.3\engine\lib. This library did not appear to be current or isn’t a cygwin built library as a number of 'cppunittest' methods are unresolved during link.

Building the runtime library from a cygwin console produces ‘libcpptestruntime.a’ (@ C:\Program Files\Parasoft\C++test\10.3\engine\runtime) and can be added to the C++Test project as documented in ‘Working with the C++ Runtime Library’. Although you can modify the project Properties->Parasoft->C++test->Build Settings Linker options to include the built library (i.e. ${cpptest:original_options} "C:\Program Files\Parasoft\C++test\10.3\engine\runtime\build\libcpptestruntime.a”) I preferred to replace the default ‘lib/cpptestruntime.a’ with the newly constructed library to avoid having to modify every project. I haven’t noticed any drawback to this approach – if you know of pitfalls please update this post.