Submit and vote on feature ideas.

Welcome to the new Parasoft forums! We hope you will enjoy the site and try out some of the new features, like sharing an idea you may have for one of our products or following a category.

Batch file is not running in the External tool

BorysHs
BorysHs Posts: 5

Hello,

I hava a problem with launching bat file in my SOAtest project. I add it into External tool and after attempt to run the test suite bat file wasn't executed.

Also I configured this file via Run->External tools and it was executed successful and displayed in the console tab of test tool.

Please, can you help to provide bat running together with test suite?

Comments

• Ireneusz Szmigiel
    Ireneusz Szmigiel Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

Hi BorysHS,

what error do you see when executing batch file in Test Scenario with Test Configuration?
    Can you post your run.bat file here?

--
    Ireneusz Szmigiel
    http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

• benken_parasoft
    benken_parasoft Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

.bat files are actually executed by cmd.exe. You need to run C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C path_to_your_bat_file

• BorysHs

Thank you all for the replies!

I specified a command as benken_parasoft suggested:
    C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C C:\Users\Administrator\parasoft\workspace\scripts\run.bat

.bat wasn't executed. I don't see any errors, just info about successful REST tests, which were executed with the external tool simultaneously in the same test suite.

.bat file is attached to this message.

• Ireneusz Szmigiel

@BorysHs
    I'm able to execute your batch on my side using simple batch call and approach suggested by @benken_parasoft.

Could you please attack to External Tool additional tool?
    Please do the following:
    -right click on External Tool and select "Add Output"
    -in new window select tool called Edit (from Console stdout/stderr)
    -it will open a new window (close it)
    -run your scenario using Test Configuration
    -open attached Console (by double click on it)

What do you have as output from your batch?

--
    Ireneusz Szmigiel

• BorysHs

@Ireneusz Szmigiel

No, I haven't. I think the cause of the problem in that the external tool saves the command in incorrect form.
    Example, I insert such path and save it:

But reopening it again I actually have another path:

Have you faced with such behavior?

• Ireneusz Szmigiel

@BorysHs
    You have incorrect configuration of External Tool.
    See my examples:
    -first one:

-second one:

--
    Ireneusz Szmigiel

• BorysHs
    edited March 2018

It works! Thank you a lot :)

And one more question. How to pass Environment variable (in soatest we use such form ${test}) as an argument in the bat file via External tool?

• benken_parasoft
    benken_parasoft Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

You should configure your bat file to accept any input as command line arguments, then configure those as additional arguments in your External tool

Please take note of the following:

• The Executable field is for the path to the executable.
    • The Flag/Arguments table is where you pass arguments to the executable. In this case, cmd.exe takes a /C flag followed by a command string.
    • The command string argument should include the entire command you want cmd.exe to execute. In this case, the argument to /C should include the path to the .bat file followed by any command line arguments to your .bat file.
    • SOAtest environment variables, test suite variables, data bank columns, etc. can be referenced in tool configuration fields as ${var_name_of_variable}. This generally works in any tool configuration fields, like the various ones you see in the External tool.
    • Within the .bat file itself, you reference any command line arguments as variables %1, %2, etc.
  • BorysHs

@benken_parasoft @Ireneusz Szmigiel
    Thank you all for helping!) Now it's clear.