Submit and vote on feature ideas.

Welcome to the new Parasoft forums! We hope you will enjoy the site and try out some of the new features, like sharing an idea you may have for one of our products or following a category.

Piecing together SOAP requests

Options
LegacyForum
LegacyForum Posts: 1,664 ✭✭
edited December 2016 in SOAtest
We need to piece together some SOAP messages using the SOAP Client and I'm looking for suggestions on how to approach it in SOATest 6.1.

Assumptions:

- The SOAP Header comes from an Excel Data Source for each request.
- For some tests, the SOAP Body may be completely stored in a cell in the XLS file. This seems to work ok except Excel has a 32K limit on cell size.

The main problem is that some of the SOAP request bodies are much larger than the 32K cell limit.

1 - Is it possible to build the SOAP header from the Data source and read the body from a file? We could put the file name of the body payload in the cell. I suspect a script can do it but I'd like to see an example.

2 - Another option is to store pieces of the body in the Excel (or external files). The body is an order structure with one or many line items. Is there a way we can construct the line item list element with a variable number of line items?

Thanks for the help!

gozer
Tagged:

Comments

• LegacyForum
    LegacyForum Posts: 1,664 ✭✭
    Options
    Which view are you currently using? For example, are you using Form Input view?

1 - Is it possible to build the SOAP header from the Data source and read the body from a file? We could put the file name of the body payload in the cell. I suspect a script can do it but I'd like to see an example.

Yes it is. If the entire body exists in separate files, we can use a File Data Source and add both the Data Source for the SOAP Header and the File Data Source to our Aggregate Data Source to combine both data sources into one so they both can be used by the same test case.

I can better put together an example once I know more details about your current test case set up.

2 - Another option is to store pieces of the body in the Excel (or external files). The body is an order structure with one or many line items. Is there a way we can construct the line item list element with a variable number of line items?

This can be done using "Exclude with empty string" functionality. However you'll need to know what the maximum number of line item elements will be included. You can then parameterize these line items to be excluded in a given test run by leaving a blank value in the cell mapped to the element via "Exclude with empty string" parameterization.

Tagged