Submit and vote on feature ideas.

Welcome to the new Parasoft forums! We hope you will enjoy the site and try out some of the new features, like sharing an idea you may have for one of our products or following a category.

Rule wizard

LegacyForum
LegacyForum Posts: 1,664 ✭✭
edited December 2016 in SOAtest
Hi. What does the Rules feature do? I was trying to rules with the rule wizard, but I don't know how it is used for SOATest. Are there examples for nonGUI tests (e.g. SOAP tests) that I can run?

THanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• LegacyForum
    Rules can be created by Rule Wizard to run a certain rule or policy enforced by your organization. You can then import the rule to your Test Configuration to run as part of a static analysis. More of this is covered under SOAtest RuleWizard User's Guide in our documentation (SOAtest > Help > Help Contents)
  • LegacyForum

I've been reading the help and looking at the existing rules, and it is still unclear. Are these policy enforcements for how we build tests? A lot of the existing rules are web based, so my impression it looks at the web page that is served and scans that. But I also saw some web services rules and XML rules, which may mean that it scans traffic with the rules. However, there are no examples that I can run to show me what it does. I tried to build an example where it auto generated a rule based on some literal XML I gave it, but it doesn't appear to do anything.
  • LegacyForum
    That's correct, the rules runs on artificats (e.g. XML files/traffic, HTML files/traffic) and verifies they adhere to rule definitions that are applied on top of these artifacts. It is similar to how an XML Validator runs on the XML traffic and validates it against a schema

I've been reading the help and looking at the existing rules, and it is still unclear. Are these policy enforcements for how we build tests? A lot of the existing rules are web based, so my impression it looks at the web page that is served and scans that. But I also saw some web services rules and XML rules, which may mean that it scans traffic with the rules. However, there are no examples that I can run to show me what it does. I tried to build an example where it auto generated a rule based on some literal XML I gave it, but it doesn't appear to do anything.

Tagged