Submit and vote on feature ideas.

Welcome to the new Parasoft forums! We hope you will enjoy the site and try out some of the new features, like sharing an idea you may have for one of our products or following a category.

Retry Soap Client request

Options
LegacyForum
LegacyForum Posts: 1,664 ✭✭
edited December 2016 in SOAtest
Retrying a web-service request based on a value in the response.
We have a requirement to wait an abitrary time for a web-service request to be processed.

The scenario is:

1. a requestMap web-service places the request on the JMS queue
* A map may take upto 10 minutes to produce. These large requests are queued, so that two of them are processed concurrently.

2. an isMapAvailable web-service checks of the map is ready yet.
* the response contains an availableStatus element, which is one of (PROCESSING, AVAILABLE, UNAVAILABLE)
.... - PROCESSING = the map is being produced
.... - AVAILABLE = the map is finished, ready to download
.... - UNAVAILABLE = the requested map cannot be produced.
* Our client web-app loops, calling isMapAvailable until availableStatus != PROCESSING
.... - it then downloads the map or shows an error page as appropriate

3. the downloadMap web-service downloads the map and displays it = SUCCESS

But in SOATest, I can't figure out how to implement (pseudocode):
while (isMapAvailable() == PROCESSING) { sleep(1000) }

I've tried doing with with python scripts and test-variables, but it appears the design of SOATest scripting makes this difficult and complicated, and therefore not worth doing. <aside>Our business people need to be able to run/maintain our SoaTests, so we need to keep it simple.</aside>

I'm imagining a new "Retry While" sub-panel on the tab: Scenario ~ ExecutionOptions ~ TestFlowLogic ... I've uploaded a mockup as an attachment.

Thanking you. Keith.
Tagged:

Comments

• LegacyForum
    Options
    Good morning Keith,

There is already a delay option implemented within the Execution Options > Test Flow Logic tab. By using the "Delay after test execution" field, you can inject delay after a test is run, which will persist over its multiple iterations (when used in conjunction with looping via Test Variables).

I have included a .tst file that demonstrates this functionality. To provide a rough similarity with your testing setup, I have three tests. The first test merely acts as your requestMap service, in that it is only executed once. The second test emulates isMapAvailable, and loops until a specific value is reached (done via paramaterizing). The third test is, a rough representation of your downloadMap service, and is only run once after the correct value from test 2 was received. Please look into the Execution Option > Test Flow Logic under "Scenario: ICalculator" to see what I did.

If this does not meet your requirements, or is not what you're looking for, please respond with more clarification on the setup of your test.

Regards,
    Joseph
  • LegacyForum
    Options

There is already a delay option implemented within the Execution Options > Test Flow Logic tab. By using the "Delay after test execution" field, you can inject delay after a test is run, which will persist over its multiple iterations (when used in conjunction with looping via Test Variables).

Joseph,

You sir, are a legend!

I admit that I haven't looked (or thought about) at your response until now, I've been otherwise engaged ;-) I just plugged my map-requests straight into your TestDelay.tst and it works like a charm.

It's simple and effective. I tips me lid to ya'.

Thanx. Keith.

Tagged