Submit and vote on feature ideas.

Welcome to the new Parasoft forums! We hope you will enjoy the site and try out some of the new features, like sharing an idea you may have for one of our products or following a category.

Log does not include detailed information frome execution

LegacyForum
LegacyForum Posts: 1,664 ✭✭
edited December 2016 in Insure++
hello

i am new to insure++.

i read through the manual and i believe i compiled my source correctly.
but the log files are not showing the informations that i am looking for.

following contents are from the log files:

MEMORY LEAK SUMMARY
===================

53 outstanding memory references for 1260 bytes (1K).

Leaks detected at exit
----------------------
134 bytes 1 chunk allocated
malloc() (interface)
** routines compiled without debug info **
_access() (interface)
** routines compiled without debug info **
*unable to load string table*()
*unable to load string table*()

i was expecting at least a file name and the line numbers. but above messages are displayed instead.

questions:
(1) i have compiled the the project with release option. should i use debug instead?

(2) do i need to have source files on the same machine?

(3) is there some other options that i may need to enble to see more information?

thank you in advance!
Tagged:

Comments

• LegacyForum
    HSong,

(1) i have compiled the the project with release option. should i use debug instead?

Yes, always use the debug configuration when building with Insure++. Incidentally, this is also why you fail to see file and line information and instead see "routines compiled without debug info" messages.

(2) do i need to have source files on the same machine?

You don't need to, but insra won't be able to show you code context if you don't. The "unable to load string table" messages will persist (resulting in less informative error reports) if you run on a machine other than the one on which the executables were built.

(3) is there some other options that i may need to enble to see more information?

Using a debug configuration will give you much better information.
  • LegacyForum
    thank you so much for your quick response!!

but i also have couple more question though,,

(1) after i compile the source with debug option, (this is in NT), do i need to have both of *.dll and *.pdb files? (or just dll files)

(2) do i need to compile the source files on the same machine that is executing machine? (to make insra to work?)

because i have a separate machine that compiles the source and also have separate test machine.

thank you!
  • LegacyForum
    With a typical debug build using /Zi or /ZI yes you would need the pdb file not just the dll's because with those flags that is where the debug information is stored. If however you were to build with /Z7 then the debug in the object files them selves and it would not be necessary under those circumstances.

Building and running on the same machine would be preferable not just because of insra but because of possible mismatches in the libraries from the build machine to the run machine. You may want to take a look at the forums page under the "Tips and Tricks" section with the topic of "To build on 1 machine run on another" for the specifics about doing that.
  • LegacyForum
    thank you!