Submit and vote on feature ideas.

Welcome to the new Parasoft forums! We hope you will enjoy the site and try out some of the new features, like sharing an idea you may have for one of our products or following a category.

Share datasource across referenced test cases

Options
goofy78270
goofy78270 Posts: 133

While I can run individual tsts on their own, when I link them as referenced test cases, the datasource from the original tst is used. Is it possible to set the datasource for a referenced tst to that of the current tst, so only one update is needed when changing row references similar to how environments work with referenced tsts?

Comments

• jakubiak
    jakubiak Posts: 798 admin
    Options

There is a section in the SOAtest documentation that shows how to do this - see https://docs.parasoft.com/display/SOA9108/Advanced+Strategies, especially steps 9-11.

• goofy78270
    Options

So for all variables in my datasource(s), I need to define them as test suite variables, in order to use them in reference tst files?

• jakubiak
    Options

Yes you do, if you would like to pass data source values into the referenced test suites.

• goofy78270
    edited November 2019
    Options

ok...that may not be ideal for my case as i switch datasources based on environment, but I will keep that in mind for other tests in the future.

• goofy78270
    Options

I think it would be beneficial if at a test level, the datasource flag had an option to "Use value from parent test suite (if defined)." rather than individual fields or if the DS was only used from the parent test suite similar to the environments.

• jakubiak
    Options

Thank you for the suggestions!