Submit and vote on feature ideas.

Welcome to the new Parasoft forums! We hope you will enjoy the site and try out some of the new features, like sharing an idea you may have for one of our products or following a category.

Custom Execution within SOAtest

SOAtoad
SOAtoad Posts: 14

I want to be able to execute my tests in a custom order, where one test is executed before each and every test within a test suite.

Ex: Test 1 > Test 2, Test 1 > Test 3, Test 1 > Test 4, etc.

How is this possible?
I have tried it with test flow and test dependency with no luck.

Ideally I want to do this without scripting. If scripting is the only option, what is the script for this functionality?

Comments

• jakubiak
    jakubiak Posts: 795 admin

The easiest way to set this up is to put "Test 1" into it's own .tst file, and then add a referenced test suite in every place where you want "Test 1" to run.

• SOAtoad

Is there any way around that?
    I know my teammates want to have a custom execution flow, similar to test flow or test result dependency.

• jakubiak
    jakubiak Posts: 795 admin

There is no "automated" way to do this as you describe. You have to manually set it up in your test scenario.

• benken_parasoft
    benken_parasoft Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

Another idea is to add the tests as global tools then reference them as tests in the desired order.

• SOAtoad

@benken_parasoft
    How would I go about that? Especially with the order

When I ran my test as a global tool (data generator) I was not able to pass the values from it unless I wrote to a writable data source

• benken_parasoft
    benken_parasoft Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

How would I go about that? Especially with the order

You must add tests in the order you wan them to be executed, whether that is a standard test, a test reference, or test suite reference.

When I ran my test as a global tool (data generator) I was not able to pass the values from it unless I wrote to a writable data source

There are different trade-offs with using referenced tools or referenced test suites. Depending on your requirements, one approach may make more sense than the other. If you use a referenced test suite then any data banks you write to in your referenced test suite will be visible from subsequent tests in the main test suite.