Submit and vote on feature ideas.

Welcome to the new Parasoft forums! We hope you will enjoy the site and try out some of the new features, like sharing an idea you may have for one of our products or following a category.

How to execute unix shell scripts from within SOAtest

Options
dgoedh
dgoedh Posts: 63

What is the best way to execute shell scripts which reside on a remote unix/aix server? Are there any standard or market place SOAtest building blocks that can cater for that?
Preferably I would like to store the unix commands for a testcase to be executed in a single cell in an Excel sheet that is integrated as a datasource in the framework.

Are there any scripting examples available with e.g. the External/Extension Tool which trigger Putty that can do the job?

The unix commands can be fairly simple from kicking of the module-under-test with some arguments upto Perl scripts that sort and filter generated output files.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Comments

• benken_parasoft
    benken_parasoft Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭
    Options

You are using the SFTP Client from the Parasoft Marketplace, right? I haven't tried but maybe it can execute arbitrary remote commands on the remove host, like call "/bin/bash" with a path to a script as an argument. I haven't tried this but thought I'd mention this first just in case it happens to work.

Alternatively, there are arguments that you can pass to the unix "ssh" command to execute a command on a remote host. So, if you are running SOAtest on Linux or Mac then you can configure an External Tool to invoke "/usr/bin/ssh" directly. If you are on Windows, you could use "ssh" from Cygwin or maybe call something else like winscp or putty which has a similar command line feature.

• dgoedh
    dgoedh Posts: 63
    Options

Hi, thanks for the suggestions. I just tried to include the bin/bash command in the SFTP-client, but got an exception from the tool:

SFTP Client failed with a fatal error: No enum constant
    com.parasoft.soavirt.tool.sftp.client.SftpCommand.Command./BIN/BASH. View Details for more information. IllegalArgumentException

I might thus have to opt for putty from the External tool, because I am working from a windows client. Hopefully I get it to work eventually with a datasource construction, instead of using loose external text/batch files.

• benken_parasoft
    benken_parasoft Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭
    Options

SFTP Client failed with a fatal error: No enum constant

Looks like the tool (as of right now) only supports the following commands:
    PUT, GET, RENAME, LN, RM, LMKDIR, BYE, EXIT, QUIT, CD, LCD, LS, PWD, RMDIR, CHGRP, CHMOD, CHOWN, SYMLINK, MKDIR, LLS, LPWD, LUNMASK, HELP

So, anything other than one of those would appear to fail with that "No enum constant" message.

I might thus have to opt for putty from the External tool

Yeah, that may be what you need to do for now.