Submit and vote on feature ideas.

Welcome to the new Parasoft forums! We hope you will enjoy the site and try out some of the new features, like sharing an idea you may have for one of our products or following a category.

Debugging UT with GDB unable to find libcpptestruntime64.so

shew82
shew82 Posts: 1

After following the Parasoft guide to debugging a test with GDB on 64-bit Ubuntu 18 (https://docs.parasoft.com/display/CPPDESKE1040/Exercise+15+-+Debugging+Unit+Tests+With+GDB), I'm having an issue where both GDB and Eclipse's built in debugging are not launching properly. In both situations it seems that there's an issue loading libcpptestruntime64.so.

Here's a picture of the GDB text, as launched through the Parasoft Debug test configuration:

If I try and run the UT executable directly from a terminal, I get the error:
"error while loading shared libraries: libcpptestruntime64.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" (....parasoft/cpptest/10.4 is on my PATH).

Launching the eclipse debug profile generates the same error:

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Shaun

Comments

• brian_nuckles
    brian_nuckles Posts: 32 admin
    edited January 2019

Hi Shaun,

What compiler are you using for your application? Is this a GCC compiler and if so, is it a 32 or 64 bit compiler? If the GCC compiler is 32-bit, the 64-bit runtime will not automatically be included. That said, it should not normally be necessary but a workaround may be to add the library to the link step of your build directly using:

-L/path/to/runtime/library -lcpptestruntime64

The location that holds libcpptestruntime64.so should also be added to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable for it to be available to GDB at runtime.

Hope this helps!
    Brian Nuckles

• Andrey Madan
    Andrey Madan Posts: 388 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

@brian_nuckles :

Thanks. Good suggestions. Note: In this case the application is being built by C/C+test. It works fine when launched directly from C/C++test GUI using Run Unit Test configuration. However, when we want to launch the executable outside of C/C++test by navigating to out scratchpad folder and executing .cpptest//unit_data/current_blah/testProject.exe from the command line - we get the SAME error as displayed on the second screenshot.

Would we be able to execute the test application from C/C++test if the wrong compiler was used? Just curious.

• brian_nuckles
    brian_nuckles Posts: 32 admin

What target/compiler is the application being built for within C++test? It may be the C++test is building the application with only 32-bit dependencies within C++Test while executing outside of the Eclipse and with GDB expects 64-bit libraries. The linker options shown above can be added to the C++Test build as in the following screenshot.

• Mirek
    Mirek Posts: 141 admin

@Andrey Madan

However, when we want to launch the executable outside of C/C++test by navigating to out scratchpad folder and executing cpptest//unit_data/current_blah/testProject.exe from the command line - we get the SAME error as displayed on the second screenshot.

This is expected. The test executable is linked against the shared library with C++tst runtime. If you want to start the test executable outside of C++test, you need to modify LD_LIBRARY_PATH:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=<c++test install dir>/engine/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

and then try to execute the test executable.

Let me know if it helps.