Submit and vote on feature ideas.

Welcome to the new Parasoft forums! We hope you will enjoy the site and try out some of the new features, like sharing an idea you may have for one of our products or following a category.

Is it possible to edit rule in dotTest ?

elch
elch Posts: 95

Hi,

Is it possible to edit rule logic and rule content in dot test same as C++test ?
How to create custom rules ?

Thanks

Best Answers

• Janusz
    Janusz Posts: 17
    Answer ✓

Hi @elch,
    The rules are editable locally on a user computer where Rule Wizard is installed - because Rule Wizard is not a web application, it is a local application.
    So the best way to share the newly locally-edited rule - to share with a team - is to use DTP - to publish the rule to a rule map in DTP and have all the team use the same DTP test configuration associated with the rule map.

Summary - about using DTP as a central point to share with team:
    1. You have a custom rule(s) (edited by Rule Wizard). You have a DTP server.
    2. Create (or maybe you already have) a rule map on DTP.
    3. Upload the custom rule(s) files to the rule map (3rd tab in Rule Map editor) in DTP.
    4. You have some test configuration(s) which you use. in order your newly-uploaded rule is visible in these test configuration(s), the test configuration(s) need to be associated/linked with the rule map (where the custom rule has been uploaded). The association can be done by editing test configuration, going to "Static Analysis" tab and choosing rule map name from combo at the top of the rules table.

Answers

• elch
    edited August 2018

Hi @Tobiasz

Thanks , I am sorry I was not more detailed in my question . We are using now 10.4 DTP & 10.4 dotTest.
    So Am I capable to edit rules via Test Configuration Editor on DTP 10.4 ?

Can you please explain the child and parent rules, How can I remove error about child link ?

Thanks so much on our help.

• Janusz
    Janusz Posts: 17

Hi @elch,

We are not sure we understand what do you mean by saying "child and parent rules"?
    And what kind of error about child link do you reference to?

thank you,

Janusz

• elch
    edited August 2018

Hi @Janusz

Parent-Child error - My mistake in my configuration. Issue closed.

Regarding ediit rules via Test Configuration Editor on DTP 10.4 .
    Is it updating the rule files ? or just configuration file ?

Thanks
    Eldad

• elch

Hi @Janusz

Thanks.
    So after editing rules , Are they editable on the user machine ? or on DTP ?
    What I am asking Is what is the best way to publish new editable rules to other developers ?

Thanks