Submit and vote on feature ideas.

Welcome to the new Parasoft forums! We hope you will enjoy the site and try out some of the new features, like sharing an idea you may have for one of our products or following a category.

Code Composer Unit Testing

tnnrwy63
tnnrwy63 Posts: 15

Hello,

Just looking for a clarification.

Does "CCS4xConnector.js" or cpptest (in general) support the instrumentation flow required to run a unit test on a TMS320C6x target and generate code coverage metrics? Or is it specifically for runtime analysis of Code Composer 4.x projects. Im very confused as to what level of integration is being provided.

Also does cpptest act as a plugin to code composer or vice versa?

Thanks!

Comments

• Mirek
    Mirek Posts: 141 admin

Hello,

CCS4xConnector.js is an interface to the TI Code Composer Debug Server. It allows loading the binary, starting the tests execution and collecting results. It works for real target devices as well as for simulators (if available). The most convenient use model is when C++test is installed as a plugin for TI Code Composer (CCS)

In typical use cases CCS4xConnector.js shall not be used directly, it is used internally by C++test test configurations for Code Composer, like "builtin://Run TI CCS v4+ Tests" to automate the full loop of unit tests execution, including code coverage.

CCS4xConnector.js (or rather C++test test configuration for code composer) requires existing target connection definition in the Code Composer project which is typically defined by Target Configuration File (ccxml).

C++test plugin for code composer studio (eclipse plugin) can be used run unit tests for TMS320C6x. Assuming target specification is sufficient to accommodate execution of instrumented code.

Please let me know in case more details are required.

Thanks!

• tnnrwy63

Thank you for a fast response. This clarification helps!

And the C++ plugin to run TMS320C6x unit tests in Code Composer is supported on specifically Code Composer versions 4 and up? Like Code Composer 6.1 Projects would be able to do this?

• Andrey Madan
    Andrey Madan Posts: 388 ✭✭✭

@tnnrwy63 : great question. which company are you with? Who is your Parasoft representative?

• Mirek

Yes, C++test eclipse plugin supports Code Composer 4 - 6 (officially). It can be also used with 7 however, some small workarounds are required. Official support for latest releases is on our roadmap.

Which versions are of interest to you?

• tnnrwy63

@Andrey Good question. I'll get back to you on that.

@Mlrek Im not set on a version technically but likely to use 6.1 or 6.2.

• tnnrwy63

As of now, I've been using C++test standalone. What is the easiest way of getting the C++test Eclipse plugin? Im assuming most licenses cover both.

• Mirek

You need to download an eclipse plugin installer from customer portal. This is a separate distribution file. Once you have it, just start the installation process and select TI Code Composer as the installation target environment and point to the CCS installation location. Install wizard should guide you through the process. Your current license for standalone will work with the plugin as well.

• coinoperated
    coinoperated Posts: 18

@tnnrwy63 - how is this working out for you? Sorry to jump in but i've not been able to get the c++test unit test generators to operate with CCS6 ( i assume that's where you are heading). I started with CSS6.2.X and back down to CSS6.0 per support suggestion - still no joy. I don't want to go any further back as my host is Windows 10 and Css <= 5 TI isn't recommended on Win10.

I'm not having problems runing & debugging using the native TI CCS6.X builds with to my C6748 target however the 'Run Embedded Tests' and/or 'Run Unit Tests' Parasoft Test Configurations fail to complete the link with the the 'cpptestruntime.lib' (stubs & autogenerated tests are compiling).

I've build the runtime library (as it doesn't appear to be built by the system) however still haven't found a workaround.

Support was able to help me get around a 'safestubs' issue that keeps the stubs from generating ('missing file' error). -- Are you having better luck?

• Mirek

Hello,

@coinoperated: Do you also see similar problems when using "Run TI CCS v4+ Tests" test configuration? In general, this is the configuration which should be used with CCS. If not yet tried, please use it an let me know the result.

• coinoperated
    coinoperated Posts: 18

@Mirek: Sorry i wasn't very clear -- that is what was trying to indicate with the "Run Embedded Tests" comment as I tried both CCS 3 & CCS 4+.
    All I get is a 'finished No Tasks Reported' with the Run TI CCS v4+ Tests. No setup errors are reported.

• Mirek

Can you please attach the console output starting from linking command line down to the end?

• tnnrwy63

Sorry my priorities shifted lately.. But I will be attempting this in the coming weeks!

• tnnrwy63
    edited May 2018

If I try running anything, I get.
    ERROR: Error: Unknown parameter: -ls

Im wondering if I have my engine set up wrong...
    Its set to: /opt/parasoft/cpptest/10.3/

• Mirek

@tnnrwy63
    Is it possible to see the full command line which generated this error?

• tnnrwy63

Not in any obvious way to me...

The error message is being displayed in the "Run TI CCS v4+ Tests" console window.

When I go through the other console windows, like:
    -> Parasoft
    -> CDT Global Build Console
    -> CDT Build Console [dsp]
    I don't see any related messages to what has been called to cause the error.

Im wondering if it has to do with the "DTP Engine Call" and its arguments:
    -> ${scope} ${configuration} ${bdf} -compiler gcc_3_4

• tnnrwy63

This is with verbosity set high.

• tnnrwy63

I was trying to run "Run TI CCS v4+ Tests" from the plugin rather than the cpptest IDE. Im assuming that is the wrong way.

• Mirek

In your post from May 23rd you mention "DTP Engine Call" and also "Run TI CCS v4+ Tests". Does it mean you have "DTP Engine" plugin and "C++test Desktop" plugin installed into single instance of TI CCS ?