Submit and vote on feature ideas.

Welcome to the new Parasoft forums! We hope you will enjoy the site and try out some of the new features, like sharing an idea you may have for one of our products or following a category.

Use Cases for Scripting via extensionTool

I have implemented support for adding scripting to our generated virtual assets using the extensionTool. I have set up a basic example of using a Groovy script to alter the response payload based on data coming from a datasource. I was wondering if someone could provide other use cases for scripting. I would like to create additional example scripts for my users. What are others using it for?

Thanks,

JT

Comments

• williammccusker
    williammccusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Are you looking for ideas of when scripting would be used? Or where in the product script could be used? Scripting is often used when there is a special behavior or value that is needed but the built-in tooling might be hard or impossible to configure to achieve it.

Examples might be correlation rules that don't match to the existing options or values that need to be generated using specific coded procedures.

• jefftuckerbofa
    jefftuckerbofa Posts: 229

Thanks Yeah, I was looking for examples of how scripting is typically used WRT responders, etc JT

• williammccusker
    williammccusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Off the top of my head, I think scripting has been used in responders when there are custom values or special business logic that need to be recreated to properly create a response. There are probably more cases, perhaps to script complicated matching logic.