Submit and vote on feature ideas.

Welcome to the new Parasoft forums! We hope you will enjoy the site and try out some of the new features, like sharing an idea you may have for one of our products or following a category.

Compatibility 2020.2 to Previous Version

jefftuckerbofa
jefftuckerbofa Posts: 229

My client was updated to version 2020.2 today and now I am seeing the following Deployment Error when I try to deploy a virtual asset to a 2020.1 server:

webtool.test.InheritingAuthentication cannot be cast to com.parasoft.util.DefaultCustomObject

Is there a way I can resolve this issue? Our organization has several instances of Virtualize and not all of them are the same version.

Thanks,

JT

Comments

• williammccusker
    williammccusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

Hi,

What action were you performing when the error occurs? In general newer desktops talking to older servers are not supported. Upgrades should be performed on servers first and then on desktops once the servers have been updated.

• jefftuckerbofa

Hi Bill,

I have a virtual asset that was created in a 2020.1 client and previously deployed to a 2020.1 server. My client was updated to 2020.2 today. I edited the virtual asset in the 2020.2 client and attempted to deploy it to the 2020.1 server and I got the exception above. I tried removing the 2020.1 server and adding it back. When I did I got a message letting me know that some features ma not be available. When I tried to deploy the virtual asset it game me a different, but similar exception. Class cast exception.

Seem as though something edited on a 2020.2 client can't be pushed to a 2020.1 server. I was a bit surprised. I have the need to work on both platforms if at all possible.

I am going to try to copy the virtual asset to my new client to see if it gets altered in some manner that would then allow me to re-deploy.

Thanks,

JT

• jefftuckerbofa

It didn't like that.

JT

• williammccusker
    edited May 2021

Hi,

When you say you edited the virtual asset do you mean the pva file? I believe that what you are describing is what happens when a pva file created on a newer desktop and has changes that older servers cannot support or properly read.

To work on both platforms you should use the 2020.1 desktop to be able to create pva files that work on both 2020.1 and 2020.2 servers.

Do you have a sample pva file that you could share? Normally I believe it should report an error and block deployment rather than get a class cast error.

• jefftuckerbofa

Yes. I made changes to the .pva using the new client. We're not allowed to export any code, but I can say it was a fairly simple .pva. One responder suite, one responder with no correlation. The responder has a header databank, two text databanks (one on the Incoming Transport Header and one on the Incoming Request) and a DB Tool.

JT

• williammccusker
    edited May 2021

Hi,

It looks like a known issue, the error message was improved in the latest release to better indicate that the newer pva file is not supported by the older server. Unfortunately, the recommendation is still to use the older desktop to connect to both servers.

• jefftuckerbofa

That works for me. Thanks!
    JT

• jefftuckerbofa

We're actually going to update the 2020.1 server to 2020.2. Thanks,

JT

• williammccusker

Great, thanks! :smile: