Welcome to the new Parasoft forums! We hope you will enjoy the site and try out some of the new features, like sharing an idea you may have for one of our products or following a category.

Webking and Usability Test

Options
LegacyForum
LegacyForum Posts: 1,664 ✭✭
Hello,

I'm trying to automate my UI test ( Usability test) for JSP and HTML files. I was looking into how to do that using Webking. I looked under CodeWizard Check Web Standards and the rules are too general for my UI standards. Just to give you an example of what kind of rules we use , we want to make sure that there is no more than n Option buttons on a page for an example, that each option button has a label, that vertical scrolling does not exceed a certain number of pages...etc.

Is it possible to do this with Webking ? If not are there plans to include it in the next release ?

Also please advise me of any Prasoft tools you are aware that can do this

Thanks

Comments

• LegacyForum
    Options
    Hi ahesson,

Much of what you're looking to test sounds as though it could be tested by creating custom CodeWizard rules that check your specific scenario. In general, you can create CodeWizard rules that look for specific patterns in your document and fire an error if that pattern is found (or not found).

For example, you could check for the number of buttons on a page by creating a CodeWizard rule that checks for instances of <input type="button" ...>, attach a counter to that, and then fire an error once the counter reaches, or is greater than a certain value.

For more information on creating custom CodeWizard rules, see "CodeWizard Check Custom Requirements/Standards" in the WebKing manual (linked in WebKing by selecting Help:Online Documentation).

For more detail, you can also look into the RuleWizard documentation (linked in WebKing by selecting Help:RuleWizard Documentation.)

Also, if you can post a specific example of the kind of code you are looking to fire an error on, I can step you through how such a rule might be created.

Thank you for your question!
  • LegacyForum
    Options
    Thank you very much for your response. Sorry for the late reply. I am looking into the "CodeWizard Check Custom Requirements/Standards" section right now. If I encounter any problem I will definitely post my concern here.
  • LegacyForum
    Options
    It doesn't seem that we can create rules for JSP files. It says that that you can create rules for HTML as well as JScript and VBScript...
  • LegacyForum
    Options
    Hi ahesson,

WebKing can treat JSP files like HTML files with random bits of scripting inside of it (if you're running on the JSP source). WebKing will parse the HTML, ignoring JSP script code, and attempt to apply rules to the HTML content of the page.

You should make sure that you have the text/jsp mime type marked as HTML. To do this, go to File: Customize Preferences...: MIME Types, and scroll down to the text/jsp entry. Select that entry and make sure that "HTML" is checked under "Implied Types." This will allow you to run any static testing on JSP pages as though they were pure HTML.

On the client side, JSP pages are generally served as pure HTML, so there is no difference here between testing a JSP page and an HTML page, other than you should be sure that the MIME type has been marked as HTML (as mentioned above).

Thank you again for your questions! Please let me know if you have any other questions/concerns, either by posting here or by sending an email to webkingsupport@parasoft.com.