Submit and vote on feature ideas.

Welcome to the new Parasoft forums! We hope you will enjoy the site and try out some of the new features, like sharing an idea you may have for one of our products or following a category.

Dynamically generating response schema and data on the fly

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 admin
edited December 2016 in Virtualize

Choice type parameterizaton is not supported currently in SOA/Virt but there is a way that you can work around this. You can dynamically build request/response structure (Schema) and data using a data source.

Define the Data Source

Here is an example of a datasource where I am defining the name of a choice Element and supplying fields that are defined as available for that complex type

In this datasource I am doing 3 things

• Defining the Name of the choice Type Element
  • Defining the Name and Value of Children Elements
  • Indicating whether the elements will be excluded (More on that later)

From this I can Dynamically build my XML request/response using paramterization and an option called Data Source Exclude with empty String.

Build your responder or Message Client

Here is an example of my request

The first thing I have done is to Parameterize the Element name of the parent Choice type with the choiceName column in the datasource. This will define the parent name with what ever I have defined. Here is what the individual elements look like

I am driving the other 2 types of behavior here

• Defining the Name and Value of Children Elements
    The Element Name and Values will come from the datasource using parameterization

• Indicating whether the elements will be excluded
    Notice how I have checked Data Source Exclude with empty String and defined a governing column? This means that the element will not be present (Excluded) from a request if that column is empty.

Here is an example of row 2
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <root> <type> <person> <name>John</name> <age>100</age> </person> </type> </root>

Here is Row 4
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <root> <type> <animal> <type>mammal</type> <age>200</age> <gender>female</gender> </animal> </type> </root>

Notice how the Choice (person/ animal) is being modified as well as the number of children, their structure and value? I have extended this to show nested complexity and attached the .tst and data Source

Comments