Submit and vote on feature ideas.

Welcome to the new Parasoft forums! We hope you will enjoy the site and try out some of the new features, like sharing an idea you may have for one of our products or following a category.

Java.lang.OutOfMemory Error

Options
LegacyForum
LegacyForum Posts: 1,664 ✭✭
edited December 2016 in SOAtest
I am getting "Java.lang.OutOfMemory Error" when I am trying to open the .tst file in SOATest 6.2 . My workspace has around 100 projects and inside each project there are 3-4 .tst files . so I feel it might be because of overload in the same workspace .. Please clarify and please suggest the best way to get it done

Thanks .
Tagged:

Comments

• LegacyForum
    Options
    Hi Raghu,

When you get an OutOfMemoryError, there are two general strategies for fixing this: (1) reduce the amount of memory being used and (2) Increase the amount of available memory for SOAtest.

To do #1, I would recommend the following:
    - Since you have a lot of projects, make sure that you only have .tst files open which you are actively working on. Remember that you can double-click on the .tst file to open/close it - so leave files closed that you don't need open.
    - Reduce the size of each .tst file if they are getting large. If a .tst file is getting larger than 20MB, and could be split up into smaller tests, then doing so (and keeping files closed when possible) will reduce memory usage.

If the suggestions above don't help, you can do #2 with the following:
    - Right-click on the shortcut to SOAtest and choose properties.
    - At the end of the Target field, add an argument like -J-Xmx1400m. This goes at the end of the field, outside the quotes.
    - Note that the 1400m is the amount of memory being allocated - you machine may not be able to use this number (you may need to use a smaller number). If SOAtest won't start with this argument, reduce this size until it does start.

The 32-bit Java Virtual Machine is only capable of addressing up to 2GB, and reserves part of this for other needs (PermGen, etc), so generally 1.4GB is the limit for most machines. However, some machines will have a different limit. For more information about this limit, check out this article: http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/HotSpotFA...l#gc_heap_32bit.

There is also a 64-bit version of SOAtest 9 available, which can address a much larger amount of heap space. You can request a download link on our website by logging in. However, I would still recommend trying to reduce memory usage first - expanding the heap space has its limits.

Regards,

- Brian McGlauflin

I am getting "Java.lang.OutOfMemory Error" when I am trying to open the .tst file in SOATest 6.2 . My workspace has around 100 projects and inside each project there are 3-4 .tst files . so I feel it might be because of overload in the same workspace .. Please clarify and please suggest the best way to get it done

Thanks .

• LegacyForum
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hi Brian,

It looks #2 is working fine , I had XMx256m earlier now I used 512m.It is able open the .tst. Thanks for the suggestions .

Thanks.

Tagged