Welcome to the new Parasoft forums! We hope you will enjoy the site and try out some of the new features, like sharing an idea you may have for one of our products or following a category.

Search Tool vs Validation

Options
LegacyForum
LegacyForum Posts: 1,664 ✭✭
1. What is the difference between a Search Tool and Validation?

An example as to where I'm having an issue is when testing a certain page to load. I am looking for a certain Status to appear on the page. Could I use both and what is the preferred method?

2. Can a Search Tool be applied to a particular Test within a Scenario?? I've noticed that a Validation can be done within a Test but it doesn't appear that you can associate a Search Tool with one.

Thanks!

Comments

• LegacyForum
    Options

1. What is the difference between a Search Tool and Validation?

The primary difference between a Search Tool and a Validation is the search scope.

A Search Tool is generally used to find the occurence of a piece of text anywhere on the page. You can modify the tool to report either success or failure and you can also specify an input file from an available path.

On the other hand, the search scope of a Validation is a particular element on a page. Validations are generally used to verify the existence of an element and validate its properties.

Also, whereas a Search Tool can be used in more places, one can only setup validations for Browser Functional Tests (created from recording a functional scenario or setup manually by adding a Browser Functional Test)

2. Can a Search Tool be applied to a particular Test within a Scenario?? I've noticed that a Validation can be done within a Test but it doesn't appear that you can associate a Search Tool with one.

Yes, a Search Tool can be applied to a particular test within a scenario. In your case it sounds like you would like to add the Search Tool to a Browser Functional Test. This would be done by adding the Search Tool as an output to a test.
    -> a. Right click on a test
    -> b. click Add Output
    -> c. Select the appropriate traffic response or request and click Next
    -> d. Click Validate Body and make sure the Create New Tool option is selected in the right panel
    -> e. Select the Search Tool from the list of tools and click Finish.

If you plan on reusing this search tool on multiple Browser Functional Tests in a project then you may consider creating a Global Search Tool. Once this is done you would follow the same set of steps except that you would select the Reference Global Tool option instead of the Create New Tool option, then select your global search tool from the list.
  • LegacyForum
    Options

Thanks for the excellent response!

I have a follow-up question:

One of the screens is set up like a table which displays the transactions for the day, it contains Date, Name, Transaction Type. I want to search on all three as a tandem for a particular row. Can the Search Tool perform this task?