Submit and vote on feature ideas.

Welcome to the new Parasoft forums! We hope you will enjoy the site and try out some of the new features, like sharing an idea you may have for one of our products or following a category.

Test Suite vs. Scenario...

LegacyForum
LegacyForum Posts: 1,664 ✭✭
edited December 2016 in SOAtest
I do not see Scenario as an option, where did it come from?
Hi, I have a TestSuite that contains TestSuite's and Scenarios... my question is where the heck did the Scenario come from? I just noticed it... what is it?

I don't see Scenario's in the SOATest Documentation... visually it appears to be the same thing as a TestSuite, except for the text reads "Scenario: Your TS Name here", rather than "Test Suite: Your TS Name here".
Tagged:

Comments

• LegacyForum
    LegacyForum Posts: 1,664 ✭✭
    Hello,

A Scenario is a Test Suite where the order of the test matters(Example: Place Order, Check Order, Cancel Order. Running Cancel Order without having run Place Order doesn't make sense). You can see Test Suite change to Scenario if you select the "Tests Run as Group" or "Tests run all sub-groups as part of the group" options under "Execution Options" of the Test Suite.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions on the difference between Scenarios and Test Suites.

~Joe
  • kathy_carino
    kathy_carino Posts: 9

It doesn't look like that's the only reason "Test Suite:" changes to "Scenario" automatically. I didn't select either of those options but I did chain tests based on data banked from the previous traffic object so I think the "chaining" (which implies ordering) will do it as well.

• benken_parasoft
    benken_parasoft Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

Yes, the use of data bank tools defines an implicit dependency between test cases, where one test case sets a data bank value and another test case reads the value. The test cases must now be run together as a scenario and can no longer execute independent of one another as a test suite.

Scenarios behave differently than test suites in various situations. Tests in a scenario must iterate over data source rows as a group. Tests in a suite iterate over data source rows independently. In Load Test, tests in a scenario must all be executed together by each virtual user. Tests in a suite can be executed separately by different virtual users.

Tagged