Submit and vote on feature ideas.

Welcome to the new Parasoft forums! We hope you will enjoy the site and try out some of the new features, like sharing an idea you may have for one of our products or following a category.

Adding notes/comments to SOATestReport

StriderX303
StriderX303 Posts: 7

HI,
I have SOATest configured to send me an email after each nightly run that shows me a list of all tests ran and their pass/fail results. I would like to add comments/notes to this report as part of the email so I can provide more info about each test to my managers but I can't find anything on how to do it. Can someone point me in the right direction if this is possible? I've attached a small screenshot of what the email from SOATest contains.

Thanks

Comments

• jakubiak
    jakubiak Posts: 795 admin

You can include comments for individual tests that you choose. First, open the editor for the top-level test suite in the .tst file. Within the first tab "Requirements and Notes", you will see a tree that shows each of the tests within the .tst file. For each test for which you would like a comment, select it and enter text into the Comment field.

Next, configure the reports to show the information. Go to Window > Preferences > Reports and make sure that "Only top-level test suites" and "Only tests that failed" are disabled. Also make sure that "Requirement/defect details" is enabled.

Now the report will contain comments for each test for which you added comments:

• StriderX303

Thanks for the response...It seems like "Only top-level test suites" and "Only tests that failed" are greyed out for me and I cannot disable/enable them. Top-level test suite is already checked and "Only tests that failed" is unchecked currently and I'm using the Automation Edition for my license. I seem to have access to Server and Professional Desktop edition as well. Any suggestions?

• jakubiak

To make those two options enabled, make sure the option "Overview of checked files and executed tests" is also checked.

• StriderX303

Ah, it was something so simple :( .

Thanks

• StriderX303

Hi Jakubiak,

I can't seem to get this to work after following all of your instructions. Soatest is still emailing the same report from what I pasted above and I don't have any option to expand the test to view comments. Here's what I did so please let me know if I missed anything.

1. Selected my first .tst file
    2. Under that .tst file I selected the first test suite
    3. Under the "Requirements and Notes" tab I see the tree list of all my tests that you mentioned. In this situation I had 4 tests under my current .tst file.
    4. I selected each test and added a comment in the Comment field box to each of the test. I just wrote "comment 1", "comment 2", "comment 3", etc on each of the test just to verify them.
    5. After saving my comments I went to "Windows --> Preferences --> Parasoft --> Reports.
    6. Under "Report contents" I have the following boxes checked: Detailed report for developers, Overview of tasks by authors, and Overview of checked files and executed tests.
    7. Under "Overview contents" I have the following boxes checked: Task details and Requirement/defect details. Everything else is unchecked.
    8. I also have "Generate formatted reports in command-line mode" and "Setup problems on" checked as well. My format report type is HTML.

I ran the test through the soatestcli but when the report came in I didn't any of my comments. Any suggestions?

Thanks

• jakubiak

When you generate the report from the UI does the report have the comments?

• StriderX303

Yes it does. I exported the settings again and was able to get the comments to show up the 2nd time around. I noticed that only comments from the lowest level of the test suite shows up. I only need the comments from the top level if possible because I'll be including a lot of tests and that report will get pretty large and messy if it expands out every single one of my .tst files. Ideally, it would be better if I can generate comments outside of the test suite summary so I can just give a quick summary of what each .tst file is testing.

• jakubiak

Unfortunately what you are requesting is not currently supported. :(